Sunday, January 01, 2006

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S!!!!

Yep, it’s official, it’s now 06 and you are all about to become one year older.  Muaahahahahaha!  :-P

New Year’s in Korea is a much bigger deal than Christmas.  As with most countries I think, there are some really big street parties here.  There were so many fireworks going off all over the city I was encircled by the noise.  Sadly however, because of the buildings, one solid mass, I couldn’t see any of them.

I don’t know much about New Year’s in New York, but I do know that Time Square is the place to be.  Well, as I think most major cities around the world have, Seoul also has major places to be.  That’s just it, places, its way to big of a city to gather in one local.  There are over 10 million people here.  That’s a lot of stinken people, especially I think if the deodorant producers of the world went on strike.  (What a thought, can you imagine, all in favor raise your,.. uhh, strike that, wiggle your bodies.) lol :-P

Where was I, oh ya, stinken people.  With the N. American major cities that I’ve been in, there is always a downtown area, a place that you know you are in the heart of it all.  Well, if there is such a place in Seoul it’s pretty well camouflaged.  It’s just one solid city that goes as far as the eye can see in any direction.  It doesn’t help that there are mountains all around so you really can’t see that far, but still, it’s one solid mass.  Each area has it’s own downtown, so you can see about a million apartment buildings and then a business section, and then a million apartments and then a business section and then….

But that’s not the point of my post is it.  Right, stinken people, ..wait.., no.., New Year’s, ya, ok, New Year’s is much more of a family day than what Christmas is.  It’s funny.  When I describe the Holiday season to my friends over here it’s directly opposite of how things are over there.

That being said, people still hit the bars New Years Eve and waste lots of hard earned money on over priced drinks.  It’s during the day on New Year’s that families get together.  Now if they only had all of the WONDERFUL College Football Bowl Games on TV to watch I could understand why they all got together, as it is, I’m just the foreigner watching with awe and appreciating and enjoying another culture.  (I still think they need the bowl games though!)

Happy New Year and hug a foreigner, we’re quite nice, really.  :-)

          

9 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what I need for this new year to be a complete successful start, parched corn. Yo Al, did you find any yet?...

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back to the basics is always a winner. I don't think it can be focused on enough. I read an interesting quote yesterday. "We make our habits and then our habits make us". Very good wisdom I think. :-)

Now, just so you can't say I didn't give you fair warning, I'm going to be in Sarnia in Feb., so, I'm thinking we need some parched corn yes. :-D

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sick, sick, sick....

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol :-D angela angela angela, or should i say sally!

I'll be kicking around Sarnia for at least 5 days. I'll send you the dates via email. I'd rather not post things like that on me blog site. I am after all an American and well, you know us, we're all a bit paranoid.

I am so looking forward to seeing every one again! (parched corn parched corn parched corn)

:-P

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...what about visiting Michigan?! Dont forget about us Michiganders!

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, I couldn't forget my Michigander friends, nor my Indiana and Ohio friends either. I will be a busy boy. To bad there wasn't such a thing as frequent drivers miles. :-) I suppose certain gas stations do offer promos, the more you spend kinda thing. Speaking of which, I'm afraid I might have to push the car due to the cost of gas!!!

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOO! Settlers! Count me in. With some of my University friends kicking around in Michigan we played a giant game of Settlers where we combined two sets. I think we had like 10 people playing. It took a bit of work but I crunched the numbers to keep all of the ratios the same but doubled. Fun game it was. Deb, do you remember who won that game? Me thinks it was ME! ahahahaha (though it bears no mentioning that I lost most of the games played that weekend prior to the big show so don't be sayin anything there Debby!)

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...my memory does not recall you winning, but I think it may be blocked because I lost - - in fact, i've lost every settlers game i've played (few as they are) - - -one of these days i'll have my vengence!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya well, just don't go postal on us ok! :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home